Living and Loving to Learn

Blog

#oneword2021

My #oneword2021 is PRESENT. I chose this word because I think in this time with covid-19, the amount of changes that have occurred over the last year have significantly changed the ways how we can be present in our day to day activities and interactions.

Being present to me means being actively involved in the moment that is occurring. Before I would have said being present would include being physically there in the room, not using electronics or digital means but by physically interacting with the people and situations that are happening then and now around you. Now due to the transition to digital means of communication, being present to me means being involved and interacting with my computer to best communicate with the person or group that I am virtually meeting with.

I also want to be present with the opportunities I receive to be in person. With still being allowed to go into schools for practicum and work, I want to be as present as possible with every and all the students, teachers, admin, and even parents I come in contact with. Respecting the covid-19 protocols, interacting with students has looked significantly different than what I expected it to be when entering this program. Last block in observations the difference between the types of present behaviours in schools is different depending on the classroom, students and teacher in a school.

I want to strive to be as present as possible in respect to the school and teacher I will be working with. Being hands on with activities and bringing in ADST models of activities by giving examples, as well as physically interacting with students while observing the work they are doing. I also want to be present and not looking strictly at the lesson plan I will be developing but being in the moment of teaching and learning while in practicum.

Being in practicum is an amazing opportunity during the education program to interact with students in a classroom and having the chance to be in person. I want to be able to take in the moment of being there and witnessing the learning and then develop and bring it into my own teaching. Building relationships with students will help me be present in their lives to then bring in better teaching habits to my practicum experience. Being PRESENT in all that I do, online and in person will be my goal I strive for during 2021, and particularly this practicum experience!