Living and Loving to Learn

Blog, Career, Reflections

Know Your WHY (Educ 401)

Why Teaching? Why Do You Want To Be A Teacher?

The most influential teacher that I have met would have to be my sister, Ms. McNeil. Growing up I have always looked up to my older sister and watching her complete both her bachelor’s degree and her master’s degree is what originally persuaded me to apply to the teaching program. Over the years I have had opportunities to observe her in her schools’ settings and volunteer with her in an after-school program that she ran. Her ability to help students learn and understand concepts that they did not know before was exciting to witness. Watching the joy that came onto her students faces when they completed a math problem correctly and knowing that she was proud of them made me want to be able to give that feeling to students as well. 

This is the start to my “why” of being a teacher. I want to support, push, bring confidence, kindness and love into my teaching career just like I have seen my sister do. I believe that the value of education and educators is immeasurable. I value education as a provider of freedom and equality, as well as a tool used to reach one’s growing goals and dreams. I appreciate that education has the ability to change and impact everyone in multiple ways and I strive to be a lifelong learner. Becoming a teacher does not mean the end of my own educational journey, but the start of something complete new and exciting. My own education is fueled by my belief that I can only educate my students as well as I am educated, and if they are continuously learning then I should be too. 

I have seen the challenges and rewards that are provided when engaging students of all levels and abilities. I have realized that the best way for me to have a greater influence and to have the most positive impacts is to become an educator. I want to provide an inclusive and welcoming start for students to find different ways to grow and learn and celebrate all their successes in life. This is only the beginning to my educational journey, and only that start to why I want and will be a teacher.