Living and Loving to Learn

491 Practicum, Blog

491 reflection

My 491 practicum has been the biggest struggle and success of the teaching program. Which is no surprise but after having what felt like such easy 390 and 391 practicums, the challenges that I faced seemed more difficult at times then they probably were. Saying that though, these struggles that I went through have significantly helped develop my teaching skills and how I will approach my new class. 

This class has 28 students that were the craziest, wildest and yet funniest group I have worked with to date. They never were low on energy and this led to many different behaviours coming out at all times that was never short of always keeping me on my toes. Particularly there was one group of students that loved each other one day and would be creating havoc the next. While at first this was overwhelming to deal with, it showed me how important building relationships with these students were so that I was able to understand and help them develop strategies to overcome these behaviours in class. Building relationships with students is so beneficial, and this class showed me just how important it was. Once the trust and respect both ways were there, the class ran significantly smoother than when I was being tested by the students. This led to better work habits and learning situations and for that I am grateful. 

These students tested me in ways I didn’t have to face in my first two practicum and from there it showed me how much I was willing to commit to making those connections and meet the learning intentions and use strategies that works specifically for this class. It confirmed that I want to be a teacher and the joy that I get from having those teacher-student relationships that lead to their success makes every day that is long or tiring all worth it in the end. 

I am excited to start working and continue to get to know the schools and staff in this district. Building my teaching skills will never be something that I want to keep working towards even when out of the program!