Living and Loving to Learn

491 Practicum, Reflections

Educ 491- Goal settings

CRITERIA Standards for BC EducatorsGOAL SETTING FOR EDUC 491 PRACTICUMWhat are some areas you would like to develop? Describe how you might achieve this.
Standard 1:Educators value the success of all students. Educators care for students and act in their best interests.Goal: Making sure that I have differentiated lessons so that all students at all levels are able to succeed. Ex. Writing levels: students who are more advanced provide work that represents their writing level while there are modifications for students who are lower levels so that they are being assessed on their personal writing level 
Standard 2:Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility and reputation of the profession.Goal: This is a must. No Questions.
Standard 3:Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.Goal: Scaffold lessons so that students are always advancing in their education and expanding on their knowledge. Ex. In math- starting off with a concept and then progressively add more to each of the lessons building on the skills they have just learner, ie. Adding 2 digit numbers, adding 3 diget numbers, learning number placement, multiplying numbers, etc. 
Standard 4:Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.Goal: Take the chance and opportunity to develop connections with parents, guardians and families for students in my practicum class. Start by sending off an email, participate in parent-teacher interviews, become a contact point for parents 
Standard 5:Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.Goal: be able to have a day plan set up for a week. This can be general but the day before the lesson details are finalized. Formative and summative assessment with support from CT for December report cards. Assessment comes in multiple levels for all students to demonstrate personal learning at their own level and the progression they are demonstrating in multiple forms (formative and summative). 
Standard 6:Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.Goal: Become familiar with both the Gr. 5 and Gr. 6 BC Curriculum, particularly in the core subjects where assessment is crucial (Math and ELA).
Standard 7:Educators engage in professional learning.Goal: Attend at least one professional development session on NI days. Use my CT for my own personal development in learning new teaching techniques and programs. 
Standard 8:Educators contribute to the profession.Goal: Teach my CT and triad (quad-ad) group one thing that I have learned from the programEx. Attention grabbers, a new gym gam, etc. 
Standard 9:Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on the present and future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.Goal: Focus on including FPPL into lessons. Truth and Reconciliation week (last week of September), create meaningful lessons that allow students to learn and reflect on the meaning of Truth and Reconciliation and why it is now a national holiday (Sept 30th ). 

“What are you looking forward to in EDUC 491 practicum?”

I am looking forward to the experience of teaching full time in a school. I cant wait to experience all the planning, teaching, and learning that I will get to participate in. I expect my knowledge and love of teaching will grow even more (if that is possible) during this practicum because it will feel as if it will be my own classroom. I am also looking forward to not only helping my student learn but to continue to learn myself. I am wanting that feedback from my CT and PE so that I can be the best possible teacher for these students and take that knowledge and teachings further into my own teaching career in the future!

I am also looking forward to being in person and being able to do more with the students. With this being said, Covid-19 restrictions in schools have decreased since last practicum, and this means going outside with other class, going on feild trips and having more in school class interactions. I am looking forward to watching how students interact with more that just with own pod or cohort or zone groups, and now with different age groups. I am also looking forward to meeting and interacting more with other teachers. I think this will let me observe more teaching methods, but also make more connections with colleagues/co-workers.